Voter Registration Information


Voters in Tennessee are registered in the county they are residents of.  If you move from one county to another you must register to vote in the county of your residence.  Voter registration does not transfer from county to county.


Who May Register to Vote?

Any citizen of the United States who is or will be eighteen (18) years of age or older before the date of the next election and who is a resident of Tennessee may register to vote unless disqualified under the law.

  T.C.A. 2-2-102 and 2-2-104.


How and Where May Qualified Voters Register?

Qualified voters register to vote by obtaining and completing a voter registration form and filing the form with the local county election commission.  Carroll County Election Commission 625 High Street, Suite 113, Huntingdon, TN  38344 – M-F 8:00 – 4:00.  Persons may register in Tennessee:  In-person and By-mail.

  T.C.A. 2-2-108, 2-2-110, 2-2-115, 2-2-116, 2-2-201, and 2-2-202.


Registering In-Person

Registration forms may be completed at the local county election commission office, Department of Safety (motor vehicles division), Department of Health (WIC program), Department of Human Services, Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation, Department of Veterans Affairs, public libraries, county clerk’s offices, register of deeds offices and many other government offices.  The form may be downloaded from this site and mailed or hand delivered to the Election Commission.


Registering By-Mail

Voter registration by-mail forms may be obtained from the county election commission office, the post office, and a variety of other public offices across the state.  The form must be fully completed and by mail registration requires that you vote in-person the first time.


When May A Qualified Voter Register?

In order to participate in an election, a qualified voter must be properly registered no later than thirty (30) days before the election.  The election commission office will process any by-mail voter registration form that has been postmarked at least thirty (30) days before the election.  T.C.A. 2-2-109.

Restoration of Rights After Felony Conviction

To see if a person qualifies for restoration of voter rights after a felony conviction, see state web page:



Register to Vote – Change of Address or Name

Registering to vote in Tennessee is by county.  If you have moved to Carroll County from any other Tennessee county or from another state you will be required to complete a new registration to be eligible to vote in Carroll County.

To register to vote ALL of the following qualifications must be met:

  • Citizen of the United States;
  • Eighteen (18) years old, or will be on or before the date of the next election;
  • Resident of the State of Tennessee; and
  • Not have been convicted of a Felony or have had your Voting Rights restored as required by law.


You may use this form to change your name if the name change is due to marriage or divorce.

If you have moved within Carroll County you may use this form to change your address.

If you have moved to another county or another state you will be required to register to vote in that county or state.

Please contact the Carroll County Election Commission with any questions or for more information about registering to vote.


Read before downloading and submitting voter registration form:

  • Print on WHITE paper only
  • Use black or blue ink to complete form
  • Complete every question on form including ALL FOUR YES/NO questions
  • Tennessee requires your Social Security number in order to register to vote
  • Tennessee does not have any party registration
  • This form can be used for either change of address or name change if you are already registered in Carroll County.
  • Deadline to register to vote is 30 days prior to election. Applications received after deadline will be processed after election.  Only a registered voter may vote in an election.  C.A. 2-2-109


click here to download and print the form


(insert GoVoteTN app link)



Additional Resources






Photo ID

All voters must present a federal or Tennessee state ID containing the voter’s name and photograph when voting at the polls, whether voting early or on Election Day unless an exemption below applies.  The information on this website is provided to ensure that all Tennessee voters have access to information about the law. 


What IDs are acceptable?

Any of the following IDs may be used, even if expired:

  • Tennessee driver license with your photo
  • United States Passport
  • Photo ID issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security
  • Photo ID issued by the federal or Tennessee state government
  • United States Military photo ID
  • Tennessee handgun carry permit with your photo


What IDs are not acceptable?

College student IDs and photo IDs not issued by the federal or Tennessee state government are NOT acceptable. This includes county or city issued photo IDs, such as library cards, and photo IDs issued by other states.


Who is exempt?

  • Voters who vote absentee by mail (view requirements here)
  • Voters who are residents of a licensed nursing home or assisted living center and who vote at the facility
  • Voters who are hospitalized
  • Voters who are indigent and unable to obtain a photo ID without paying a fee


What if I registered by mail and am voting in my first election?

Federal law requires first time voters who register by mail to present one of the following:

  • A current photo identification with voter’s name and photo OR
  • If the photo identification is expired, the voter must also present one of the following: a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows the voter’s name and address.

Is an expired photo ID acceptable?

Yes, as long as it was validly issued by the federal or Tennessee state government and contains the name and photograph of the voter.



Is my photo ID acceptable?

If you are unsure or have questions about your photo ID< contact the Carroll County Election Commission at 731-986-1968.


What if I don’t bring a photo ID to the polling place?

If you don’t bring a photo ID, you will vote a provisional ballot.  You will then have two (2) business days after Election Day to return to the election commission office to show a valid photo ID.  Upon returning to the election commission office, the voter will sign an affidavit and a copy of the voter’s photo ID will be made to be reviewed by the counting board.